- 1 How do you quote lines from a play in an essay?
- 2 How do you cite a play in-text?
- 3 How do you quote a line from Shakespeare?
- 4 How do you cite a Shakespeare play in MLA?
- 5 How do you quote more than 4 lines?
- 6 How do you cite a quote from a play in APA?
- 7 How do you cite sources in an essay?
- 8 How do you cite Shakespeare works cited?
- 9 How do you cite a website in text?
- 10 What are three famous quotes from Shakespeare?
- 11 How do you quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet?
- 12 How do you cite a play title?
- 13 How do you cite Macbeth in works cited?
- 14 How do I cite the tragedy of Macbeth?
- 15 How do you cite Shakespeare Chicago style?
How do you quote lines from a play in an essay?
- Set the quotation off from your text.
- Begin each part of the dialogue with the appropriate character’s name. Indent each name half an inch from the left margin and write it in all capital letters. Follow the name with a period and then start the quotation.
- Maintain this pattern throughout the quotation (80).
How do you cite a play in-text?
When citing Shakespeare plays, list the ACT, SCENE, and LINES in parenthetical citations (page numbers are NOT included), separated by periods. Enclose the citation in parentheses. For example: (Macbeth 1.3.
How do you quote a line from Shakespeare?
How to Quote Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of plays. Richard III or Othello.
- Place a parenthetical reference after each quotation containing its act, scene, and line numbers separated by periods. Do not use page numbers.
- Use arabic numerals for all reference numbers.
- Periods and commas always go inside quotation marks.
How do you cite a Shakespeare play in MLA?
The Works Cited entry follows the format for a book. Shakespeare, William. Play Title. Edited by Editor first name Last name, Publisher, Year.
How do you quote more than 4 lines?
For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented 1 inch from the left margin while maintaining double-spacing.
How do you cite a quote from a play in APA?
Start with the author’s name, last name first, then first initial followed by a period. Put the date of publication (or translation) in parentheses next with a period after the parentheses. Write the title of the play with no special formatting such as quotation marks or italics.
How do you cite sources in an essay?
Using In-text Citations When citing sources in the body of your paper, list the author’s last name only (no initials) and the year the information was published. If you use a direct quote, add the page number to your citation, like this: (Dodge, 2008, p. 125).
How do you cite Shakespeare works cited?
Works Cited Example: Author Last Name, First Name. Title of Play. Editor or Translator. Publisher, Publication Date, Location.
How do you cite a website in text?
Cite web pages in text as you would any other source, using the author and date if known. Keep in mind that the author may be an organization rather than a person. For sources with no author, use the title in place of an author. For sources with no date use n.d. (for no date) in place of the year: (Smith, n.d.).
What are three famous quotes from Shakespeare?
Here are 10 of the poet’s most famous quotes:
- ” To be, or not to be: that is the question:
- “This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day,
- “Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.”
- “Men at some time are masters of their fates:
How do you quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet?
Type the number of the act, scene and lines you are citing. For example, “O Romeo, Romeo, / wherefore art thou Romeo?” ( Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet 2.1. 74-75). Every time you cite the play afterwards, include only the act, scene and line number.
How do you cite a play title?
Italicize titles if the source is self-contained and independent. Titles of books, plays, films, periodicals, databases, and websites are italicized. Place titles in quotation marks if the source is part of a larger work. Articles, essays, chapters, poems, webpages, songs, and speeches are placed in quotation marks.
How do you cite Macbeth in works cited?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)
How do I cite the tragedy of Macbeth?
MLA (7th ed.) Shakespeare, William, and G B. Harrison. The Tragedy of Macbeth. Harmondsworth, Eng.: Penguin Books, 1968.
How do you cite Shakespeare Chicago style?
Citing Shakespeare Whether you use MLA, Chicago, or APA, Shakespeare is an exception to the normal way to cite. Shakespeare is ALWAYS cited internally, using parentheticals with act, scene, and line numbers.