- 1 How do you cite a play in text MLA?
- 2 How do you write a play in MLA format?
- 3 How do you cite Shakespeare plays in MLA format?
- 4 How do you cite plays in an essay?
- 5 What is a MLA citation example?
- 6 How do you cite a works cited page?
- 7 How do you format a play title?
- 8 How do you cite a book title in an essay?
- 9 How do you start an essay with a quote in MLA format?
- 10 How do you cite Shakespeare examples?
- 11 How do you cite Macbeth in MLA format?
- 12 How do you format a Shakespeare quote?
- 13 How do you quote a dialogue?
- 14 How do you quote stage directions in an essay?
How do you cite a play in text MLA?
When citing prose plays, use the page number first, followed by a semicolon and then other identifying information (e.g. Miller 9; Act 1). When citing verse plays with line numbers provided, use those instead of page numbers, separating division numbers with a period (see example above).
How do you write a play in MLA format?
Italicize the title of longer plays. MLA calls for the title of longer works, such as books and films, to be italicized. Plays longer than one act are considered long works and should be italicized.
How do you cite Shakespeare plays in MLA format?
When citing Shakespeare plays, list the ACT, SCENE, and LINES in parenthetical citations (page numbers are NOT included), separated by periods. Enclose the citation in parentheses. For example: (Macbeth 1.3.
How do you cite plays in an essay?
To cite a specific quotation from a play in MLA style, place the quotation in quotation marks (using slashes to indicate line breaks) and end with a parenthetical citation of author, name of play, and then page/act (for prose plays ) or act/scene/line(s) (for verse).
What is a MLA citation example?
MLA citing format often includes the following pieces of information, in this order: Author’s Last name, First name. “Title of Source.” Title of Container, other contributors, version, numbers, publisher, publication date, location.
How do you cite a works cited page?
When citing a play with numbered lines, the MLA parenthetical citation should include the author name and the act, scene and line number(s). Book.
|Format||Author surname, Author first name. Play Title. Publisher, year of publication.|
|Example||Friel, Brian. Translations. Faber & Faber, 1981.|
How do you format a play title?
- Titles of books, plays, or works published singularly (not anthologized) should be italicised unless it is a handwritten document, in which case underlining is acceptable. (
- Titles of poems, short stories, or works published in an anthology will have quotation marks around them. (
How do you cite a book title in an essay?
Italicize titles if the source is self-contained and independent. Titles of books, plays, films, periodicals, databases, and websites are italicized. Place titles in quotation marks if the source is part of a larger work. Articles, essays, chapters, poems, webpages, songs, and speeches are placed in quotation marks.
How do you start an essay with a quote in MLA format?
Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented 1 inch from the left margin while maintaining double-spacing. Your parenthetical citation should come after the closing punctuation mark. When quoting verse, maintain original line breaks. (You should maintain double-spacing throughout your essay.)
How do you cite Shakespeare examples?
The Works Cited entry follows the format for a book. Shakespeare, William. Play Title. Play published in a collection.
|Format||Shakespeare, William. Play Title. Collection Title, edition, edited by Editor first name Last name, Publisher, Year, pp. Page range.|
|In-text citation||( Shakespeare 3.2.20–25)|
How do you cite Macbeth in MLA format?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play ), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)
How do you format a Shakespeare quote?
How to Quote Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of plays. Richard III or Othello.
- Place a parenthetical reference after each quotation containing its act, scene, and line numbers separated by periods. Do not use page numbers.
- Use arabic numerals for all reference numbers.
- Periods and commas always go inside quotation marks.
How do you quote a dialogue?
4. Quoting a portion of dialogue: If you quote something a character says, use double quotation marks on the outside ends of the quotation to indicate that you are quoting a portion of the text. Use single quotation marks inside the double quotation marks to indicate that someone is speaking.
How do you quote stage directions in an essay?
When quoting stage directions, your aim should be consistency. It is most common to find stage directions in italics, and you should replicate them: After Levan states that Homais “faints,” the stage directions detail what happens next: “She sinks down in a Chair, he falls at her feet” (22).